Fishing is a sport that requires tools. One of the most necessary and often forgotten items for fishing is fishing scissors. Because they enable you to cut through line easily without tangling it up with your hands or cutting anything important accidentally, like knots on hooks.
Many anglers think they can use any kind of scissors in fishing tasks. But the fact is, not any scissors will do for these jobs, and you should always invest in a high-quality pair if available! Fishing scissors are inexpensive but offer great benefits, such as durability, ease-of-use with one hand or two hands on each handle.
Comfortable grips help to prevent fatigue from long work hours out on the water when using them continually. You can cut netting ties off the hooks baited by fish bites. As well as other various materials used while fishing, like spinner blades for lures.
You’ll be amazed at how much more efficiently your catch ratio improves once they’re boldly hacking away at those pesky lines tangled up around urchins embedded into the sea.
Best Fishing Scissors
Uses of Fishing Scissors
Fishing scissors can be used to cut fish, crabs, and bait. In particular, the knives at the ends are designed specifically for cutting bait like crab claws or frozen shrimp. The tension in the blade of fishing scissors can be adjusted by opening and closing it which is great for filleting fish as well.
Fish Scissors have come a long way from their humble beginnings! Back then they were basically just an extension of one’s fingers with crude hooked blades haphazardly added on at either end to pull apart wires or braid together two pieces of rope.
The most beneficial trait of fishing scissors is that they can cut lines very swiftly. They function more effectively for cutting spools and braided lines. If your braided line gets entangled it will be a lot easier if you cut the line and spool again.
Best Fishing Scissors Buying Guide
Fishing scissors differ based on the material it’s made of. Surely, no one would want their fishing shears to get destroyed during use. Going on a fishing tour can be risky, especially when it’s saltwater fishing since salt damages metal surfaces.
When you are choosing fishing scissors you should find the ones which are long-standing. In that case, the most convenient material for fishing shears is stainless steel. Because it doesn’t weigh much and can resist the harm of salt.
Fishing scissors should be laser sharpened. Because blunt-edged scissors will ruin your bait and line and create a mess instead of cutting the bait. Fishing scissors should also be able to cut through braided lines without any struggle.
It will be problematic if your fishing scissors are difficult to use. Such as, hard to hold, too small or too large to grip or slippery, etc. That’s why fishing scissors should be designed with user-friendly systems.
So look for fishing scissors that have rubber-made handles, large thumb holes, and non-slippery handles. They’ll protect your hands from slipping even when wet. You should keep these in mind when looking for fishing scissors.
Another thing you should remember while buying fishing scissors is, they should be easy to carry around. Small-sized and dense scissors are preferable in this case. You should buy scissors that will easily fit in the pocket of your fishing vest so you’ll have easy access to the scissor when you need them.
Best Fishing Scissors Review
Here is the review of 12 fishing scissors for you.
1) Stanley 8 Inch All-Purpose Ergonomic Scissor, Pack of 2 (SCI8EST-2PK), Assorted Colors
Stanley all-purpose ergonomic scissors are very long-lasting. They are made from stainless steel and helpful in any case from general to heavy-duty. It’s very dense and can easily cut through tough materials.
There are two all-purpose Stanley scissors in one set. Their handles are very user-friendly with a soft, cushioned grip. Their blades are smooth and sharp which helps to cut the bar and line very accurately.
The Stanley scissors dimensions are 10.75 x 4.72 x 0.98 inches with thick blades. There’s also a variation of colors.
There’s also a finger rest for additional cutting control and adjustable blade tension which shows that these are built thinking about the user.
- Stanley 8 inch All-purpose ergonomic scissors come in two packs of scissors.
- Pointed tip styled scissors and designed conveniently.
- Item length is 10.75 inches, width is 4.72 inches and height is 0.98 inches.
- Item weighs 0.32 ounces.
- Blades are made of long-lasting wear-resistant stainless steel.
- Soft cushioned handle grips.
- Smooth sharp blades provide a smooth and clean cutting experience.
- Get the same cutting experience in different colors.
- The durable, robust, high-quality blades help cut through tough materials without any hassle.
- The cushion mushy handle grip and finger rest make it very comfortable to use the scissors.
- Reasonably priced.
- The blades are too sharp so you have to be careful while holding them. Do not hold the scissors by the blades.
- Some users, unfortunately, found it breaking off while using.
2) Kershaw Skeeter 3 Precision Fine Tip Scissors
Kershaw Skeeter 3 scissors are very useful for tying flies, fishing, sewing, nail or cuticle trimming, and grooming on the go. They’re made of stainless steel and the edges of their blades are smooth and very shard.
These scissors have pointed tips, and they’re also a tight fit. These are perfect for every tiny kind of task that requires precise control.
The finger holes are also over-molded which helps the user to cut anything effortlessly.
There are micro-serrations on one blade of the scissors and it’s custom-made with surgical precision to presumably cut tinsel, wire, feathers, and even deer hair. These scissors will be very beneficial for you without any doubt.
- Kershaw skeeter 3 scissors blades measure 1. 25 inches in length.
- The scissors are 4. 25 inches overall. Weighs 0. 7 oz.
- Crafted with surgical precision.
- Overmolded finger holes.
- Made from stainless steel.
- Sharp-edged blade, pointed tip, and tight fit.
- Micro-serrations on one blade of the scissors.
- Comes in black color and suitable for tying flies, fishing, sewing, nail or cuticle trimming, etc.
- Comfortable to use and easy to carry around.
- Lightweight and small in size.
- An extra fine scissor point enables precise trimming.
- The micro-serrations on one blade prevent slipping when cutting monofilament.
- Can cut through a variety of materials effortlessly.
- Ultimate for even very small-scale cutting jobs preferring precise control.
- The extra sharp blades may be harmful if used carelessly.
3) KastKing Fishing Line Scissors, Braided Fishing Line Cutters, w/Sheath, Super Sharp 3CR13 Japanese Stainless Steel Blades, Non-Slip TPR Handles, Includes Lanyard
KastKing Fishing Line Japanese scissors are perfect for fishing and other activities as well. The blades are super sharp and made of stainless steel. The cutting blades are serrated which makes them more comfortable to cut.
The Kastking fishing scissor’s handle is made from high strength polypropylene. This makes the scissors durable, lightweight, and long-lasting for work.
The grips are also non-slippery which makes it comfy to hold the scissors. It also includes a hook sharpener. These fishing scissors come with easy removal stealth which protects the blades and also protects from accidents.
A lanyard is included where you can comfortably store the scissors. You can either store the scissors in the stealth or you can also wear them around your neck with the lanyard for trouble-free access.
- Kastking fishing scissor’s length is 5.5 inches.
- The length of the 3CR13 Japanese 420 Stainless Blades is 1.6 inches.
- A hook sharpener is included to keep the hooks sharp.
- Includes easy removal stealth.
- Includes a lanyard.
- Non-slip TPR handles for a secure grip.
- Package dimensions: 7.4 x 4.1 x 1.4 inches; weighs 1:59 Ounces.
- Lightweight and durable.
- Cuts fast and easily in both freshwater and saltwater environments.
- Functions very well for mono lines and fluorocarbon.
- You can keep the hooks sharp with the hook sharpener.
- Comfortably storable.
- Non-slippery grips make it secure to use.
- Some users complained that the blade had rust spots after being used in saltwater.
4) Booms Fishing S1 Braided Line Scissors Combo
If you don’t have any scissors in your tackle box than you absolutely should. Because you’re going to need them in so many tasks. Such as setting up, changing rigs, and dealing with the occasional line tangle or snag. That’s why you need a fair and suitable pair that can help you in all those situations with ease.
Booms Fishing S1 Braided Line scissors are very fitting and keen-edged which will definitely get your job done nicely. These are just the scissors you need.
Booms Fishing Scissors are made from a set of premium quality tools to satisfy all your cutting needs.
These firm scissors are ideal for braid and mono while appointing for the next cast. The supple grip blunted tip, and saw-toothed edges spare relief, security, and its capability on the water.
- Booms fishing scissor is 10 cm (4 inches) in length and it weighs 0.16 oz.
- Its serrated blades are made from stainless steel.
- Blunt tip and ABS handles.
- Includes retractable reels.
- Tether holes are attachable to retractable reels.
- Cuts braid and mono fishing lines.
- The saw-edged blades make it cut fast without slipping.
- Its tiny size helps to carry it around easily.
- Cheap in price.
- The retractable reels make it easily accessible.
- The stainless steel blade can stand up to rough weather circumstances.
- Blunt tip keeps away from accidents when kept inside pockets.
- According to some users’ reports, some scissors lost their keenness after being used for a while.
5) Mustad Budget Braid Scissor 24 Pcs Bucket Fishing Terminal Tackle (1 Pack), Multicolor
Mustad budget braid scissors are great for fishing and other tasks. Their hooks largely comprise high carbon steel. After tempering, steel is subject to hydrogen absorption.
Hydrogen absorption is harmful to carbon steel in various ways. While processing through tempering and heat treatment and also during the surface treatment process, necessary steps are taken to prevent the steel from hydrogen absorption.
These scissors’ length is 3 inches and the package dimensions are 9 x 7 x 4 inches. The product also weighs 7.68 ounces. They cut fast without any trouble with their sharp blades.
- Comes in one pack.
- Hooks mainly consist of high carbon steel
- Blades are plain and sharp.
- Large holes in the handle in order to grip easily.
- Handles are made user-friendly so that it doesn’t slip while using.
- The black-colored scissors are 3” in length.
- Product dimensions are 9 x 7 x 4 inches; 7.68 Ounces.
- Sharp-edged blades.
- Comfortable to use.
- Non-slip handles, trouble-free gripping.
- Does Not cut through braids less than 10 lb hook length.
- These scissors might be a little high-priced.
6) LOCKING SCISSOR FORCEPS FLY FISHING HEMOSTAT TOOL 7.5″
Locking scissor forceps are a new pair of forceps made from stainless steel. Forceps are usually used in fly-fishing. Most anglers use forceps to remove flies from fish without any trouble.
Moreover, they are used to select flies from the boxes and hold them while they tie them to their leader or tippet. Locking scissor forceps are remarkable for hobbies, arts and crafts, fly tying, sewing, cutting, and model building.
They can be further used for threading a shaft through a small gap or stably holding a wire or screw. The forceps include serrated jaws and blades which makes the use securer and effective.
- Locking Scissor Forceps are made from stainless steel.
- The forceps include serrated jaws.
- Sharp and stable blades.
- Blunt tip.
- Measures approximately 7.5 inches (190.5 mm) long.
- Works well for removing flies.
- Sharp edges.
- Doesn’t cost much.
- It’s not suitable for saltwater fishing.
- Product description might slightly vary from the advertisement.
7) TJhonoor Stainless Steel Fishing Line Scissors 2 Folding Portable Travel Outdoor and 2 U-Type Scissors Sharp Handheld Snippers
Fold-up scissors and U-type scissors are useful in many different ways. They are one of the very essential utensils you will need while going on fishing. Here you are getting two of the folding portable outdoor scissors and two U-type sharp handled snippers.
You can use them to cut many types of items. Such as tape, paper, cloth, hair, thread, cardboard, and many other items. They have smooth blades with sharp edges which helps you to cut through things right away.
These scissors are suitable for being used in the kitchen, classroom activities, arts and crafts projects scrap booking, etc. Additionally, they are perfect for cutting in dense spaces, quick snips, and trimming thread.
- Both the folded scissors and U-type scissors are made of stainless steel.
- The scissors come in a “Silvertone” color.
- Sharp blade; smooth surface.
- The two U-Type Scissors are about 4.2 inches in length.
- The two Folding KeyChain Scissors: Unfold size: 10 x 6cm/ 4 x 2.4inch (L * W).
- The two Folding Key Chain Scissors: Folded size: 5.5 x 2.2cm /2.2 x 0.9inch (L * W).
- A folded design shields your skin from sharp edges.
- They’re transportable and lightweight.
- They’re also useful for travel or daily use.
- The scissors’ surfaces are protected by a tiny amount of butter. Make sure to wipe off the oil before you use them.
8) Rapala Super Line Scissors
Rapala super line scissors are impressive when it comes to cutting braids and lines. They are small in size and do a good job of cutting the braids without any effort. Very handy and comfortable while using. Rapala scissors contain stainless steel as their materials and come in various colors.
Oversized finger holes
Their handles comprise large holes in order to grip finely and to prevent slipping. Since they’re tiny, it is easy to carry them around everywhere.
They are approximately about 5 to 6 inches long and about 3 inches wide. The scissor also weighs about 4 ounces.
You can absolutely use this to cut your fishing lines and braids smoothly.
- They are designed with special features that grip and hold braided lines for easy, non-slip cutting.
- Includes serrated cutting edges.
- Handles carry oversized finger holes.
- Constructed from stainless steel.
- Measures around 5 – 6 inches in length and 3 inches in width.
- Weighs around 4 ounces.
- These scissors have a very low budget.
- Cuts braids and lines fast.
- Easily transportable.
- Doesn’t weigh at all.
- The blades aren’t too sharp.
- Isn’t suitable for saltwater.
9) Gerber Gear Neat Freak Freshwater Fishing Scissors
Gerber neat freak fishing scissors are very well functioning for cutting braided lines. The scissors include bear hand control that immerses a cohesive system that contributes to the user with greater comfort.
When your fishing line scissors wear out, the line frays. The frayed lines become almost unworkable and you can’t get your job done. Gerber neat freak scissors are designed very accurately and they work every single time.
There’s a prolific forefinger pad where the fingers fall for a natural grip.
Also, it distributes an extended attaching point for a finger while cutting or employing the shot crimper. Its dimensions are 3 (L) x 0.3 (W) x 6 (H) inches and it weighs around 2.4 ounces.
- Dual micro-serrated blades.
- Bluntnose tip.
- Split shot crimper.
- Lanyard hole to secure.
- Bottle opener.
- Barehandrazor-sharp Control ergonomic control system.
- Forefinger pad.
- Full tang.
- Precision paddle.
- Long-lasting and cuts faster.
- The blades hold the braided lines in the right places.
- Reinforced with full tang construction so the handle will strictly stick to the blades.
- The Gerber scissors are for freshwater use only.
10) Boomerang Tool Company SNIP Fishing Line Cutters with Retractable Tether and Stainless Steel Blades
Boomerang Tool Company SNIP fishing line cutters are made and imported in the USA and manufactured in Vietnam with globally sourced materials. It’s made of polycarbonate and the blades are made from stainless steel.
This fishing line cutter comes in black color in angel’s combo style. You can use it while both saltwater and freshwater fishing. This cutter cuts upright and precisely through 150 lb. Braid and 250 lb. mono fishing lines and flour fishing lines, super SNIP cut 50 lb. Braid, mono, and flour fishing lines.
You must cleanse the line cutter with freshwater every time after you use it. From time to time use anti-rust spray on the snip, wipe it with cloth, and then dry it with air. Thus, you will be able to protect your snip blades and screws from rusting or spotting.
- High quality 420 stainless steel serrated cutters.
- Replaceable CR1620 Battery included in super SNIP.
- New nylon carabiners are included.
- Comes with a 36” nylon retractable tether,
- Made from polycarbonate and stainless steel.
- Cuts braid, mono, and fluoro lines clean and smooth.
- Integrated safety.
- Lasts Longer.
- If you don’t clean it regularly there’s a possibility of your snip getting rusty.
- Extra care should be taken in saltwater.
11) SAMSFX Fishing Heavy Duty Anti-Slip Serrated Edge Scissors
SAMSFX Fishing Scissors are perfect for your tackle box and are of great help. The blades are made from premium stainless steel and are non-slip and micro-serrated. The length of the scissor is 5.6” and it appears with normal-sized finger holes, in black and orange handles.
These are heavy-duty scissors and also consist of a razor-sharp power notch that helps you cut effortlessly. The scissors also come with customized stealth, which makes an easy connection with a wader belt, fly vest, or backpack.
SAMSFX fishing scissors not only help you to cut fishing lines, but also they cut steel leader, rig sleeves, carp fishing shrink tube. Furthermore, you can cut the toughest bait, fish cutting, or raptor shears with the help of these fishing scissors.
- 420 stainless steel blades
- Bluntnose tip
- Polypropylene handle
- Micro serrated blades
- Cutting notch
- Maintenance hole
- Non-slip foreigner pad
- Block for a restricted position
- Color: A combination of Black and Orange
- Total length: 5.6 inches; Max opening (blades): 2.7 inches; Max opening (handles): 3 inches
- Sharp blades, cuts easily.
- Comfortable to use.
- Can be moved without any trouble.
- Have to be careful while using it in saltwater. Clean them after use because they oxidize quickly.
12) Dr. Slick Mitten Scissor Clamps
Dr. Slick Mitten Scissor Clamps are made from 410 Japanese stainless steel with a Rockwell hardness of 42. The basic concept of this is the same as mitten clamps, but with a serrated scissor mounted behind the jaws. These clamps are able to do many tasks such as crushing barbs, removing hooks from fish, opening/closing split shot, knot-tying, cutting tippet, etc.
What clamp(s) suit you the best depends on what kind of task you perform regularly. Some anglers prefer short clamps, some prefer long. Again, some people prefer plain jaws, some prefer curved ones. One type can’t perform another one’s task.
For example, in saltwater using the black oxidized or prism finished clamps would be better. Because this ensures an extra layer of protection.
In order to make your clamps last longer, rinse your clamps with fresh water after every use. Also, you should match your clamp size to the flies that are going to be used.
- Comes in two sizes, 4.75 and 5.5”
- Top Quality Dr. Slick
- Scissor Clamp
- Spring Loaded
- Serrated Scissor
- Wrist Lanyard Included
- Suitable for both freshwater and saltwater
- Comes spring-loaded, and with a wrist lanyard
- There’s a slight risk that your clamps might get rusted spots if not cleaned properly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use saltwater scissors in freshwater?
Yes, saltwater scissors can be used in freshwater as well. If you want to use saltwater scissors and freshwater you can. Because saltwater scissors are made of anti-corrosion materials. So you can use them in both water.
Meanwhile, in case you want to use freshwater scissors in saltwater then you have to rinse them with fresh water after use and oil them properly. Or else, your scissors might get rusty.
What causes corrosion in fishing scissors?
The main cause of corrosion in fishing scissors is not drying them properly after use.
Since while fishing you keep surrounded by water, your gear needs to be maintained well. Many people forget to dry their scissors after using them. That’s when corrosion happens.
Another incident that causes corrosion is saltwater exposure. So, in order to keep your scissors safe from corrosion you need to wash them with fresh water after each use and dry them well.
How much should I spend on a pair of fishing scissors?
There are all types of fishing scissors starting from $5 to $40. How much you should spend on a pair mainly depends on your budget and need.
If you have a good budget and you are looking for products from the top line, then you might spend $20 or more. But you can also get a pair at $5 and be happy with them if you wanted an average pair.
How can I cut braided fishing lines without fraying them?
It’s really frustrating when you are trying to cut braids but instead of cutting it gets frayed. It becomes a struggle for all anglers. To cut braided fishing lines without fraying them you must choose the right tool to cut.
There are two things that are a must in your cutting tool. Those are sharp blades and strong cutting edges. Because rusty edges don’t cut properly and it makes your braid frayed and stronger edges help cut quickly.
How can I maintain my fishing scissors?
Maintaining your fishing scissors are very important. Otherwise, they might not last for a long time. But, it’s not hard to maintain your fishing scissors at all.
You should rinse your fishing scissors with fresh water after each use and air dry them carefully. Then store them in a dry place. You should also occasionally oil your scissors.
How can I sharpen my fishing scissors if it gets blunt?
You can sharpen your fishing scissors if they get blunt. There are a few ways to sharpen them. You can heat them up, use rotary tools, aluminum foils, or sharpening stones.
But aluminum foils might not work for too dulled scissors though. If they are slightly blunted then it will work.
Should I opt for tethered fishing scissors?
It mostly depends on your wish that if you want to opt for tethered fishing scissors or not. But, a study found that if you keep using the tethers repeatedly then the tether might wear off which can result in breakage.
The best option is to opt for fishing scissors which you can carry around by hanging around your neck with a lanyard or the ones that you can attach with your belt. Or you can also carry around small and lightweight fishing scissors in your tackle box.
How many types of fishing scissors are there?
There are mainly two types of fishing scissors. Notched and smooth. Most fishing scissors are usually smooth but some are curvy in the upper area. The smooth ones are perfect for cutting the fishing line right away while the saw-edged ones make it easier to cut through fish skin and bait.
To sum up, this was the review of some fishing scissors that will be of great use in your tackle box. The products here follow a variation which makes it easier for you to choose the perfect one for yourself, because taste and needs vary from person to person.